Have you seen the movie Maleficent with Angelina Jolie? I really enjoyed the complex characterization of Maleficent and committed to dressing up as her for Halloween.
So herein goes my process of the how to build Maleficent’s head-dress with the wrapped up horns. I saw a few articles for sewing this, but I wanted something massive and light to wear.
I went to my local art supply store and decided I would sculpt the horns with greenery foam and then paper mache to make them sturdy. I also bought a cheap foam head to paper mache the helmet part. This was going to be so fun and… messy.
Sculpting – Okay greenery foam, is completely and totally messy! It gets everywhere, but was super easy to sculpt using a dull knife. Be careful folks with the knife (not recommended for children). I had 4 blocks of foam and quickly discovered I needed to sculpt in parts and that I would join them together.
When I got the base and the top portion of the horn together I was happy with them but knew I needed a backward break to have the horns go back from my head versus sticks sticking straight up. Also I need to work on the tips of the horns and I wanted more curvature like most animal horns too, there was a bit more work to do. I made my break and used paper to support the break then taped it together. It was a bit tricky, however, I was thrilled with the result.
Next was time to paper mache, and my husband built wire stands for me with hangers. The stand was really helpful, you may need to balance it or add weight at the bottom. I also needed to start the helmet and get it into my head size which took manipulation of towels and strategic pin placements. To mache the helmet I did cover it with plastic wrap sprayed with light oil so that it wouldn’t stick to the paper mache and would pull off (it worked!). Lastly once the paper mache was all dry I did a coat of Mod Podge to make it more sturdy. I also Mod Podge the inside of the helmet so it was smooth.
It was really coming together at this point! The next step was to paint it black and I opted for the leather look via black duct tape. To put the horns on the helmet I used duct tape on the bottom and began the wrapping of the head-dress. Also I cut around the face to build the forehead point and sides prior to the wrap.
I was getting really excited now! This was going awesome. The duct tape was definitely sticky but was working well. I recommend manageable pieces and overlapping as you go. Also I used some of it on the inside of the helmet to make it fit a little better and on the sides of my face and neck to keep the sharp edges at bay. I had done it! It was massive and light on my head. Next I needed to figure out the make up piece and YouTube had several video’s so I took a few options there and made them my own. The actual dress came from a witch costume I had, it fit the bill perfectly with the collar flipped up. Made me think of the cartoon version with the purple and black.
My Maleficent Costume!
It was a great fun to wear and hand out candy to our neighborhood kids this Halloween. I was in a few photo ops, which was fun too. I’m thinking next year I need a staff to go with my costume and a black crow!
I hope you enjoyed my little crafty journey and it inspires you with any crafts or costume ideas you have.